Gluten Free Egg Rolls and Pockets are the gluten free egg rolls you’ve been searching for. The dough is easy to roll and fries like a dream. You can make traditional egg rolls, or stuff the delicious filling into gorgeous pocket bundles. Add a dipping sauce and your fans will shout with joy.
For the Egg Roll Dough
- 4 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 Expandex Tapioca Starch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- 1 1/4 cups water, room temp
- Additional corn or tapioca starch for rolling
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil, or 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus one minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 16 ounces high protein extra firm tofu, diced into 1/4 – inch cubes
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 16 ounce Tri-Color Cole Slaw Mix
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup green onions
- 1 beaten egg for brushing
- (Peanut) Oil for Frying
- Sweet and Sour Sauce for dipping (optional)
For the Egg Roll Dough
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using a paddle attachment, combine the flour, starch and salt.
- Add in the eggs and water and mix until a stiff dough is formed.
- Tightly cover the dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
For the Filling
- While the dough is resting, heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the garlic oil and toasted sesame oil.
- Add the tofu and saute until it starts to brown, then add the celery and cook for another minute until the celery starts to soften.
- Toss in the slaw vegetables, the soy sauce and the green onions. Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables have softened, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Uncover the egg roll dough and cut it in half. Return half to the bowl and recover tightly.
- Divide the dough into 12 even pieces. Cover the pieces with plastic wrap.
- Lightly sprinkle starch onto a pastry board. Take a piece of dough and roll it into either a rectangle for egg rolls or a circle for pockets. Using a large offset spatula or knife, lift the dough off of the pastry board to ensure it’s not sticking before adding the filling.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg.
- Place some of the filling onto the lower half of the dough for egg rolls, or the center for pockets.
- Roll the egg roll, pressing to seal the end. Set aside seam side down. If making a pocket, bring all the edges of the circle together and press to seal to form a pocket. Set aside, seam side up.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Fill a pot around 3 to 4-inches full of oil. Over medium high heat, using a candy thermometer, bring the oil to 350°F.
- Add several of the egg rolls/pockets to the oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining egg rolls/pockets.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
These can be reheated using the “Reheat” mode of your air fryer.
I use a rolling pin with guides to ensure that the dough is super thin and evenly rolled out.
These wonderful Gluten Free Egg Rolls and Pockets are perfect for your fried Chanukah meals!!!
I know I spoke about the magic of the Expandex Starch, and I feel it’s pretty essential for this recipe. You can theoretically leave it out but the dough won’t behave as nicely and the consistency, even after frying, will be different.
You can substitute a different protein for the tofu, like thinly sliced chicken or beef. Before sauteeing the chicken/beef lightly toss it in corn starch and add a little extra oil. This will help the chicken/beef have a great texture. Just make sure to cut them into small enough pieces for the egg rolls/pockets.
You can also leave the tofu out completely if you like.
I recommend using a large offset spatula to loosen/remove the dough circle from the pastry board before egging and rolling. It helps to make sure the dough isn’t sticking to the board before rolling into an egg roll or pocket.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 151.5 mg
- Fat: 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 29.3 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: Gluten Free, Gluten Free Egg Rolls, Gluten Free Wonton Wrapper, Vegan, Plant Based, Vegetarian, Pareve, Dairy Free, Meat Free. Chanukah, Hanukkah