Turmeric Rice with Chickpeas is a crazy healthy rice made with fragrant basmati rice, ground aromatic turmeric, colorful safflowers, protein packed chickpeas and fruity sweet raisins. It’s the perfect delicious, healthy, side dish that’s filled with immune boosting ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons canola or avocado oil
- 1 large onion, diced (around 2 cups)
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons dried safflowers
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup dark raisins
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot with a tight fitting lid, sauté the diced onion in the canola oil over medium heat, until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add the basmati rice, turmeric powder, safflowers and stock. Stir to combine.
- Over high heat, bring the pot contents to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce the heat to low.
- If using white basmati rice, simmer for 20 minutes. If using brown basmati rice simmer for 30 minutes. When the rice is done cooking, remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork.
- Toss in the chickpeas and raisins stirring until blended.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with additional safflowers.
You can use white or brown basmati rice. Make sure to follow the different cook times for each.
If you don’t have basmati rice handy, you can substitute Jasmin or your favorite long grain rice. Simply cook according to the package directions including the turmeric and safflower in the recipe.
Eating a low FODMAP diet? Leave out the fresh diced onion, the chickpeas and the raisins. You can substitute a tablespoon of dried green onion if you like for the fresh onion.
This recipe makes a full 9×13 inch pan of rice which is great for two Shabbat family meals. If you feel that this is too much rice, feel free to halve the recipe.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 16.1 g
- Sodium: 472.7 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.4 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Turmeric, Turmeric Rice, Basmati Rice, Chickpeas, Safflowers, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Plant Based, Healthy Eating, Nut Free Rice