Chicken with Leeks and Apples is the perfect fall and Rosh Hashanah dish. Smothered with symbolic Holiday sautéed tender aromatic & savory leeks and roasted sweet & tangy apples, it’s a dish that’s not only visually appealing but also contains a burst of flavors. The chicken stays juicy, the leeks become sweet and aromatic, and the apples add that perfect touch of freshness. Your family, friends and taste buds will thank you!
- 2 whole cut-up chickens (around 2 1/2 pounds each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 bunches leeks (white and green parts), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1/4 cup gluten-free 1:1 flour
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, chopped skin-on
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 375°F Convection. Grease a half sheet pan. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken generously with black pepper and a little salt (Kosher chicken is already pretty salty).
- Heat the oil in a large, deep ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet skin-side down and cook, flipping once, until golden on both sides. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the thyme and leeks to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook until the skillet is nearly dry.
- Stir in the broth, apple cider and a pinch each of salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Use your fingers or a fork to smush the margarine and flour together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Whisk the margarine/flour mixture into the skillet until dissolved.
- Stir in the apples or sprinkle them over the chicken on the pan. Pour the leek mixture over the chicken.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, around 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Use an oven thermometer in the largest chicken piece. The chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165°F.
Make sure that the chicken is completely defrosted before starting the recipe.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 159.2 mg
- Fat: 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 28.9 g
- Cholesterol: 80.2 mg
Keywords: Chicken with Leeks and Apples, Chicken Recipe, Simanim, Rosh Hashana, Rosh Hashanah, Diary Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free