Barbecued Carrot Hot Dogs are exactly what they sound like, a plant based hot dog made from carrots cut into hot dog shapes and prepared to resemble and taste simililar to the real thing. They’re perfect for your Purim seuda, a real disguised v’nahafoch hu addition to your fun Purim festivity.
For the Marinade
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 large raw carrots
For the Carrot Cooking
- 1/4 cup water
- Additional barbecue sauce
- Buns and hot dog toppings
- Cut the carrots so they are just larger than the hot dog buns. Trim the edges to round slightly, like hot dogs.
- In a shallow dish/container large enough to hold eight carrots, whisk together the barbecue sauce and the water to make the marinade. Place the carrots into the marinade and spoon the sauce over the carrots so they are completely coated.
- Cover the carrots and marinade, and allow the carrots to marinade for at least 3 hours.
- To cook with a pressure cooker: Place a rack on the bottom of the pressure cooker bowl. Set the carrots evenly on the rack, then pour the marinade over the carrots. Add the 1/4 cup additional water. Lock the lid and close the pressure valve. Cook for six minutes using high pressure. When the carrots are done cooking, immediately manually release the pressure.
- To cook on the stovetop: Place carrots and marinade in a large pot. Cook covered for 8-10 minutes over medium heat until fork tender.
- Heat a grill, then spray with propellant free vegetable spray. Place the carrot dogs on the hot grill, and cook, brushing with additional barbecue sauce, until the sauce caramelizes slightly and grill marks appear.
- Serve hot on a bun with your favorite toppings.
Cuisinart CIT-102 Locking Grill TongsBuy Now →
All-Clad Pan Stovetop Grill E7954064Buy Now →
Pick your favorite barbecue sauce for this recipe!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 64
- Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 187.4 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Carrot Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Vegan Hot Dog, Plant Based Hot Dog Recipe, Pareve, Kosher, Purim, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Meat Free