Fun for the whole family! Even the littlest family member can display their artistic talents with these easy to paint homemade cookies.
For the cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour (can be gluten free one-to-one)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- additional flour for rolling dough
For the glaze
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon water
- assorted food colors.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, cream the sugar and the shortening. Add eggs one at a time, then add the orange juice and vanilla and mix until completely blended. Add the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined and dough is formed.
- Divide into dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until dough is chilled and easier to handle.
- Roll out dough with floured rolling pin on floured board. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Paint with Cookie Glaze.
- Bake 8-10 minutes on prepared cookie sheets. Makes a little over 1 pound of dough.
For the glaze
- Mix yolk, water and food coloring together in a small bowl. Paint the cookies!
- Let air dry until dry to the touch.
- I like to use pasteurized eggs for the glaze.
- Use new or thoroughly washed paint brushes. You can divide the glaze or make a separate batch for each “paint” color. Use one paintbrush for each different color.