These gorgeously mammoth white button caps are stuffed with tons of Vegetabley goodness. Fresh shallots, colorful peppers and healthy spinach make Veggie Stuffed Mushroom Caps the perfect appetizer or side dish.
- nonstick spray
- 12 very large white button mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola or avocado oil
- 1 cup finely diced colorful peppers
- 1 cup frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs (can be gluten free)
- 2 large eggs or plant based egg substitute equivalent
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a large baking sheet/half sheet pan with aluminum foil, then spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Carefully remove the center stems from the mushrooms, then finely dice the stems. Set them aside.
- Clean the mushroom caps and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet . Add the shallot and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the shallots are clear.
- Add the peppers and cook until softened, then add the mushroom stems and sauté until they are soft and nearly all the liquid has evaporated, stir in the spinach.
- Remove from heat and blend in the panko, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into each of the mushroom caps.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the tops are browned.
- Serve immediately.
I use my “Hindy Chopper” a.k.a. Vidalia onion chopper on the smaller dice setting to chop the shallots and peppers.
Feel free to add your own spin on these mushroom caps by adding your favorite veggies or plant based meats.
If shallots don’t agree with you, you can substitute 3 thinly sliced green onions.
If garlic doesn’t agree with you, you can substitute 1 tablespoon garlic oil for the canola oil and omit the fresh garlic.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 244.7 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: Mushrooms, Stuffed Mushrooms, Pareve, Dairy Free, Meat Free, Nut Free, Gluten Free