It can be hard to make family friendly dishes when traveling. Here’s a super simple, four ingredient Mac & Cheese recipe that you can make in your hotel room microwave using ingredients found in your mini hotel fridge. I made this recipe plant based but you can make it dairy if you prefer. Additionally, make sure to put a (paper) plate under the microwave container. Depending upon the size of your container the Mac & Cheese may overflow a little while cooking. Make sure to check the notes on the bottom for variations and suggestions.
- 1 cup gluten free macaroni (I like Barilla for this recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup (plant based) shredded cheddar cheese
- bread crumbs for topping (optional)
- Place the macaroni in a large (4-5 cup) microwave container with a lid.
- Add the almond milk, margarine and shredded cheddar. Stir to blend.
- Loosely cover the container with the lid. You don’t want to completely seal the container or it will explode.
- Microwave on high for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and stir the Mac & Cheese to distribute the sauce.
- Serve topped with bread crumbs (from old bread) if desired.
You can make this Mac & Cheese dairy if you prefer, simply substitute dairy ingredients like butter, milk and cheese.
I use Barilla pasta in this recipe. It’s corn based and doesn’t need rinsing as some chick pea or lentil pasta might. If you use a non-corn based pasta it may turn out mushier…it will still taste goo, it will just be mushy.
I used unflavored, unsweetened almond milk. You can use soy or another unsweetened milk or even water instead. The flavor may alter slightly.
If you don’t have a microwave safe container with a lid, simply use a larger microwave safe container loosely covered with plastic. Make sure to leave a small opening so the Mac & Cheese can vent.
There is an example of venting microwave containers below. They are great for traveling and won’t explode (hopefully!).
Keywords: Mac and Cheese, Microwave, Travel Food, Gluten Free, Plant Based