Sweet Potato Salad with Apples and Pecans is crunchy & naturally sweet, with tangy lime added to create flavor balance. One of my faves that I serve year round!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, around 2 large or 3 medium
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 6–ounces pecans, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup lime juice or the juice of 4 limes
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- Additional chopped pecans for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
- Remove from the water and let cool. You can put them in an ice bath to hasten the cooling process.
- Once the potatoes are cold, you can peel them, then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the diced potatoes in a large bowl. Add the apples, celery, and pecans, then sprinkle with the lime juice.
- Stir in the light brown sugar (if using), then fold in the mayonnaise.
- Serve garnished with additional chopped pecans.
- Can be made up to a day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If making in advance, do not add the pecans until serving.
This recipe can be made plant based by substituting plant based mayonnaise or leaving the mayo out completely.
Feel free to alter this recipe according to your family’s tastes. Want more apples, add more apples. Hate pecans, switch to cashews or leave them out. Have a serious aversion to mayo…leave it out. Prefer lemon to lime juice, I wouldn’t recommend the switch but knock yourself out.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 112.5 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.6 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.6 mg
Keywords: Sweet Potato Salad, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Meat Free, Pareve, Shabbat Salad, Quick lunch