- 5 Medium beets (about 1 1/4 pounds) or 2 16 oz cans julienne beets, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
To prepare the beets
- Cut off all but 2 inches of beet tops.
- Wash beets and leave whole with root ends attached.
- Heat 6 cups of water, 1 tablespoon vinegar (to preserve color) and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling.
- Add beets.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Boil until tender, 40 to 50 minutes; drain.
- Run cold water over beets; slip off skins and remove root ends.
- Cut into shoestring pieces.
For the recipe
- Prepare and cook beets as directed above; Cook and stir onion in margarine in 10-inch skillet (I used a large pot) over medium heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beets, honey, lemon juice, salt and cinnamon.
- Heat, stirring occasionally, until beets are hot, about 5 minutes; sprinkle with parsley.