When you feel like the world is turning upside down, there is no better cake to make than an upside down cake. With citrus fruit season beginning, a most beautiful, interesting (in a good way!) cake is the Grapefruit and Tarragon Upside down cake. It combines the bright and tangy flavors of grapefruit with the subtle, slightly anise-like notes of tarragon.
The fresh, ruby red grapefruit slices on top of the cake are vibrant in color and taste. This is an unexpected, creative twist on the classic upside down cake.
This cake is based upon the recipe Grapefruit & Tarragon Upside-Down Cake from Food 52 by Emily Ziemski.
- nonstick spray
- 1 grapefruit, zested then peeled, de-seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Reserve 2 tablespoons of grapefruit zest
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon demerara sugar, divided use
- 1/2 cup plant based butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free 1:1 flour (I like Bob’s Red Mill blue bag)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray then line the pan with a parchment circle. Lightly spray the parchment with additional nonstick spray.
- Evenly sprinkle 1/3 cup demerara sugar over the parchment.
- Line the cake pan with the grapefruit circles, trying not to overlap. You can fill in the spaces near the outside of the pan with small grapefruit triangles.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of demerara sugar over the grapefruit. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla until lightened and fluffy.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt and mix until completely blended. Fold in the grapefruit zest and chopped tarragon.
- Carefully pour the batter over the grapefruit, then level with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (see note).
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake then allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before inverting onto a cake plate.
- Serve with your favorite tea or coffee.
You can try making this cake using other citrus fruits like different orange varieties. If using very sweet oranges reduce the sugar by a tablespoon.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 34.2 g
- Sodium: 408.2 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.3 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 46.5 mg
Keywords: Upside Down Cake, Grapefruit upside down cake, Grapefruit and tarragon, pareve, dairy free, gluten free, meat free, nut free, winter citrus, grapefruit cake