- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (you can use a frozen cube)
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 large zucchini, unpeeled
- 8–10 ounces mushrooms
- 12 ounces ground walnuts
- 1/2–1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- In a large saucepan combine the quinoa and boiling water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and allow the cooked quinoa to sit covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and allow quinoa to cool. (This step can be done in advance.)
- In a food processor fitted with a medium shredder blade, shred the carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet.
- Add diced onions and garlic then sauté until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the shredded vegetables and sauté until soft.
- Fold the cooled quinoa into the sautéd vegetables, then stir in the ground walnuts until completely combined.