An Edible Menorah with Butter Candles is an aromatic, flavor packed, gorgeous consumable Chanukah centerpiece that will wow your friends and family. It’s totally unique, easy to make and I guarantee you’ll be the host with the most with this completely faboulous edible Chanukah symbol on your table.
- 1 large board long enough for 9 rolls
- 2–4 toothpicks for attaching the “shamash” rolls to each other
- 9 1–ounce plastic disposable shot cups
- 9 cotton wicks, 1 1/2-inches long
- narrow scotch tape for securing the wick
- 1 flat tray for holding the shot cups
- 1 sharp paring knife
- 1 display board
- 1 cake pedestal for setting the display board on to resemble an elevated menorah (optional)
For the Butter Candles
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
If Baking the Edible Menorah
- 10 mini rolls, unbaked
- egg wash (if using)
If using ready made bread Rolls for the Edible Menorah
- 10 mini rolls
- at least 16 toothpicks (optional)
For the Butter Candles
- Place a single piece of tape over the top of the shot cup, slightly off center. Set a wick in the center of the cup touching the tape.
- While holding the wick, pour melted butter into the cup around 2/3 of the way full. Place a second piece of tape on the other side of the wick, holding it in place.
- Repeat with the remaining cups/butter/wicks until all the butter has been evenly distributed between the cups.
- Place the cups on a small tray and freeze for 30 minutes.
For the Edible Menorah
If baking the Menorah from Scratch:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 9 of the the unbaked rolls on the baking sheet in a single row, touching each other. Place a single roll on another part of the baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash (if using) and bake for 15-20 minutes until the rolls are golden brown.
- Transfer the rolls, all in one piece, to a display tray.
If using pre-made rolls for the Menorah:
- Set the rolls on a display tray in a line. You can attach them to each other with toothpics if you like.
Assembling the Edible Menorah
- Place a single roll on top of the center roll of the line of 9 rolls. Attach with toothpics to ensure it doesn’t fall off. This will be the shammash.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut out a wedge from each of the rolls around the width of the shot cup and around 1/2 inch deep. Save the pieces to nosh on.
- Remove the butter candles from the freezer. Using a scissors, cut the tape from the top of the shot cups.
- Run a sharp paring knife around the edge of a solidified butter candle in a cup, being careful not to break the candle.
- Gently remove the butter candle from a cup and press it into the hole in a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining cups/candles.
- Light the candles and wait for the butter to melt. Blow out the candles and remove the wicks before serving.
Feel free to make multiple menorahs for different nights or multiple centerpieces. Your choice.
If you like you can adapt this recipe for after Chanukah. You can shape the rolls into a circle and put a bowl of dip or another side dish in the center. The options are endless.
For those celebrating a holiday where a tree may be involved, you can shape the rolls into a tree shape and proceed with the recipe as indicated above for a beautiful holiday centerpiece.
For New Years, shape the rolls into a “24” and light the way and roll into the new year!
To make this recipe dairy-free/pareve or vegan use your favorite plant based butter sticks.
Make sure to ask your Rabbi before using this Edible Menorah as your Chanukah Menorah.
Keywords: Edible Menorah, Chanukah Menorah, Edible Candles, Holiday Display, Edible Holiday Display, Jewish Cooking, Jewish Food, Butter Candles, Hanukkah, Chanuka