Using grated, all natural zucchini, rich cocoa, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chunks, and fragrant spices makes Double Chocolate Zucchini a moist, full of flavor dessert bread. You won’t be able to stop shnukering pieces of it…it’s that good!
- nonstick vegetable spray
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, or plant based egg equivalent (like JUST egg)
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 large or 3 medium zucchinis, grated (around 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12–ounces good quality chocolate chips/chunks
- (non melting) powdered sugar, optional
- Spray a bundt pan or two 8-inch loaf pans with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 325°F convection.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, coffee, cinnamon and ginger. The batter will be very thick at this point.
- Whisk in the grated zucchini mixing until completely blended. Stir in the chocolate chips/chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before transferring to a serving plate. Sprinkle with (non-melting) powdered sugar.
Here are some extra tips for making Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
In the Matten house, everyone loved the Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. I added cinnamon and ginger to the recipe for depth of flavor, however those tastes may not be yours. Feel free to leave them out or reduce the amount to suit your personal preference.
Of course this recipe calls for fresh zucchini. Zucchini comes in all shapes and sizes. I used two large zucchini or three medium zucchini. The total weight of the zucchini should be around 1 1/2 pounds. The weight should be close. Don’t sweat a few ounces either way.
I write a lot of plant based recipes. This recipe calls for two fresh eggs. While I haven’t personally tried it, I think you could use an egg substitute like JUST egg to make the recipe completely plant based.
The recipe calls for canola oil because it’s a mild, no-flavor-added oil. You could use another oil like safflower or avocado oil if you prefer.
I make the Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread in a bundt pan, but you can use two 8-inch loaf pans if you prefer the loaf style bread.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 18.6 g
- Sodium: 157.2 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.8 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Keywords: Zucchini Bread, Gluten Free, Chocolate Zucchini Bread, Pareve, Cake, Dessert, Dairy Free, Meat Free