Caramel Apples are one of the worlds most perfect foods with healthy apples & peanuts and a caramel treat! Wonderful for fall, these are topped with peanuts, chocolate chips or sprinkles, they’re a wonderfully comforting indulgence. This version is gluten & dairy free and completely plant based making them all the more perfect.
- 12 mini apples (around 3 pounds), Gala/Honey Crisp/McIntosh/Granny Smith
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (dairy free) heavy whipping cream
- chopped dry roasted peanuts, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles for coating (optional)
- 12 caramel apple sticks
- Remove the wax from the apples by either boiling them for 2-3 minutes, washing well with veggi wash or dish soap. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Place in the refrigerator until ready to dip.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart pot, whisk together the sugar and salt. Add the water and stir until completely blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Simmer until sugar turns a rich amber color, around 7-10 minutes. Watch carefully as the sugar will burn if not monitored.
- Add the heavy whipping cream all at once, being careful as it may splatter, then immediately whisk until completely smooth.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until an instant read thermometer reads 240°F. Immediately remove from heat and allow to cool until the caramel thickens, around 20-30 minutes.
- If using, place the toppings into separate plates or bowls.
- Place the sticks into each of the apples. Carefully dip an apple into the cooled caramel allowing excess caramel to drip off the apple.
- Roll the coated apple into the desired topping. Serve immediately.
You can also use unwaxed apples purchased at a farmers market.
If you’d like to make larger apples you can, you just will get fewer from the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 small Caramel Apple
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 37.9 g
- Sodium: 56.1 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.1 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 11.3 mg
Keywords: Homemade Caramel Apples, Caramel Apples, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Pareve, Meat Free, Plant Based, Vegan, Sukkot, Kosher