- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 sticks butter or margarine, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (from 3-5 lemons)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (from 5-6 lemons)
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line with parchment paper, allowing some to come up over the sides.
- Spray the paper.
- This will allow for easy removal and cutting of the bars after they are baked.
Prepare the crust
- In a stand mixer or with hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on high speed.
- Lower the speed and add the flour and salt.
- Mix until combined and a smooth dough forms.
- With slightly damp hands, press into prepared pan, coming up with ½-inch on all sides.
- Bake 20 minutes until golden. (Prepare filling while crust is baking so you can pour it while crust is warm.)
- Remove crust from oven.
- Leave the oven on.
Prepare the filling
- In a small bowl, whisk ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, flour baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- Place a fine sieve over a large bowl.
- Add the raspberries to the sieve.
- Using a wooden spoon, press the raspberries to that all the juice flows into the bowl, leaving the seeds behind.
- Stir and mix the berries in the sieve until all that is left is a pulp of seeds.
- Discard the seeds.
- To the raspberry juice, whisk I the eggs, remaining 2 cups sugar, lemon zest and the reserved dry mixture.
- Whisk in the lemon juice, mixing until all the ingredients are incorporated and there is no trace or clumps of the flour.
- Pour over the hot crust and bake for 25 minutes, until the filling is set; top will look a little foamy.
- Cool completely; store in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, use the parchment to lift the lemon bars out of the pan.
- Cut into squares, triangles, or diamonds.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Serve cold.