- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup apple juice (or warm water)
- 1 envelope rapid rise yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz pizza sauce
- 8 oz shredded part skim mozzarella or pizza cheese
- 1 8 oz can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 med red pepper, diced
- 4 vegetarian sausages, crumbled
- 4 oz vegetarian pepperoni, sliced
- 8 oz broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 oz sliced olives
A super easy and healthy pizza.
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- Microwave the apple juice for 30-45 seconds, until warm.
- Add yeast to juice and mix well.
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil and yeast mixture to flour.
- Mix until smooth using a dough hook, around 5 minutes-until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional apple juice if necessary.
- If kneading by hand, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Remove dough from bowl, spray with non-stick vegetable spray and return to bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm placed for at least 5 minutes.
- If making two thin 12” round pizzas divide dough into two.
- If making one 16” pizza, do not divide dough.
- Roll/stretch dough onto pizza stone or pan sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Cover with sauce, then additional toppings, then cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, cut into 8 slices.
NON WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA
- For non whole wheat crust pizza, substitute 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour for the whole wheat flour.
PERSONAL TOASTER OVEN PIZZAS
- Preheat toaster oven to 400* F. Divide risen dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle. Cut 8 pieces of foil the size of the toaster oven rack. Spray each piece of aluminum foil with non-stick spray. Place each mini crust on the foil and follow remaining pizza directions. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, around 10 minutes.
STUFFED CRUST PIZZA
- For stuffed crust pizza roll the dough around 2-3 inches larger than the size of your pan. Using either part skim mozzarella cheese sticks or shredded part skim mozzarella/pizza cheese, evenly distribute the cheese approximately 1 inch in from the edge of the dough. Fold crust over the cheese and gently press to seal around the cheese. Add sauce and toppings and bake as directed above.
THICK CRUST PIZZA
- Follow crust recipe as directed above. Allow to rise at least 5 minutes. Roll one entire recipe of dough into a 12” circle. Place in a 12”x2” cake/pizza pan. Cover and allow to rise for and additional 5-10 minutes (or longer). Add sauce and toppings and bake for 25-30 minutes.