- FOR THE FALAFEL
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- FOR THE LATKES
- 16 - 20 oz Hash Browns (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Canola/avocado/peanut oil for frying
A cross between a potato latke and falafel, these latkes are great in a pita with Israeli Salad or just by themselves drizzled with tahini!
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, shallot, fresh parsley, cumin, coriander and flour in a food processor bowl. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the hash brown potatoes in a large bowl. Add the eggs, baking powder, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the falafel mix until completely combined.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until hot.
- Form the latke mixture into patties and carefully place in the oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining raw latke mixture.
- You can serve these hot latkes in a pita with Israeli Salad or drizzled with tahini.
- These latkes can be given a little kick by adding 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.