- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup yellow popcorn kernels
- 5 tablespoons butter or trans-fat-free margarine
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Prepare the popcorn
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- To make sure oil is hot enough, drop in one corn kernel.
- When it pops, pour the rest of the kernels into the pot; cover pot.
- Keeping the cover on, shake the pot to help popcorn pop evenly and prevent burning.
- When the popping sound slows, remove pot from heat.
- Pour the popcorn into a large, greased, heatproof bowl.
Prepare the caramel
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar, water, and salt.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Cook mixture over medium-high heat, without stirring, for 15-20 minutes, until it begins to brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile, measure baking soda, grease two heatproof spatulas or spoons, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Coat parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
- Time is of the essence in the next step so have everything handy and be ready to work quickly.
- Once sugar mixture begins to brown around the edges, remove pot from heat; add baking soda.
- Whisk for about 10 seconds.
- Mixture will bubble vigorously and thicken.
- Quickly pour sugar mixture over popcorn and toss with the two prepared spatulas until all popcorn is evenly coated.
- Pour popcorn onto prepared baking tray and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, break into chunks and enjoy!