- 3 stalks green onions, around 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese (can use low-fat dairy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 cup vegan milk (can be low-fat dairy)
Here's an updated version of my classic that works for everyone - including the pescatarians, dairy intolerant, and GFE's (Gluten Free Eaters)! Feel free to modify the recipe to meet your own dietary needs.
- Heat a medium/large saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic oil.
- Increase heat to medium, add the green onion and sauté until soft, around 2 minutes. You can add the crushed red pepper as well if you'd like to increase the spiciness of the dish.
- Turn off the heat. Add the cream cheese and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the parsley, nutmeg, black pepper and smoked salmon until combined.
- Whisk in the flour until completely blended.
- Turn the heat on to low. Slowly add the milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth and the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over Fresh Spinach Fettuccine.
- You can substitute 1 clove minced garlic with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for the garlic oil.
- Test your crushed red pepper flakes for heat. I initially used my homemade, fresh-from-the-garden crushed red pepper and it was really, really spicy! Feel free to add less or leave it out completely.
- I used Kite Hill cream cheese and unsweetened almond milk in this recipe. You can use your favorites as I did.