- Spray oil, for greasing pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 apples (McIntosh, Gala, Fuji, Golden Delicious)
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan with spray oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon with 3 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Sprinkle on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the flour, remaining 2 cups of sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla with a stand or hand-held electric mixer on medium-high speed or by hand until well mixed.
- Peel and core the apples, halve them and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Place the slices on top of the cinnamon and sugar in the pan in 3 long rows of overlapping slices.
- Pour the batter over the apples and spread evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is browned and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes and then turn over onto a large serving platter or tray.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Just before serving, sift the confectioners’ sugar over the top.
- The sugar will seep into the apples and heighten the taste.
- Store covered in plastic at room temperature for up to four days or freeze wrapped in plastic for up to three months.