|Fresh Turmeric Rice with Grilled Vegetables|
|No caterpillars in this bin
of fresh turmeric!!
Congratulations ME on my 100th Kosher Everyday post!! WAHOO!!
- 5 small fresh turmeric “caterpillars”, peeled and finely grated (should yield approximately 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 medium Vidalia or sweet onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed or 1 frozen garlic cube
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice (I like Uncle Bens)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (I like Manischewitz)
- 2 pounds colorful baby peppers
- 1 extra-large Vidalia or sweet onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the diced medium onion and the crushed garlic.
- Sauté until soft and slightly caramelized, then add the grated turmeric and stir to combine.
- Add the brown rice and mix until rice is completely coated with oil and turmeric.
- Pour the stock over the rice, stir to thoroughly blend, then increase heat to bring stock to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook rice according to package directions, usually 20-25 minutes until vegetable stock is completely absorbed.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss the peppers with ¼ cup of olive oil until completely coated.
- Slice the large oinion into ½ inch wide slices – do not separate the rings of the slices.
- Brush or spray both sides of the onion slices with olive oil.
- Place the vegetables on the heated grill and cook until lightly browned, turning frequently.
- Note, the onions will take longer to cook through and soften.
- Place grilled vegetables in a small casserole or on a large plate.
- Remove the stems and dice the soft peppers leaving on the skins.
- Dice the grilled onions.
- Combine the diced grilled vegetables with the cooked rice.
- Stir in the salt and pepper until evenly blended.
- Serve warm.